Books I Read

My musing about books that I've read and am reading with some other tidbits thrown in along the way!!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore

Welcome to my little corner of the knitting world!!

Friday, June 09, 2006

Voyager

Right now I am reading Voyager by Dianna Gabaldon. It is the 3rd book in the Outlander series. I am revisiting an old friend. This time around I am paying closer attention to the history involved. Generally I glaze over the history for the "fun stuff" in books, but this opens up good dialog between my DH (dear husband) and I as he is a HUGE history buff and just "knows it all". He doesn't seem interested in reading this series for some reason. There are LOTS of men that read it, and find it just as facinating. I'm sure THEY skip the fun stuff for the history.
The opening of the book is the end of the battle at Culloden in Scottland. I'm still fuzzy about the history, but the Scots wanted to break away from England, and sadly, they failed miserably.
Now mind you, this is the 3rd book in the series so I don't want to give ANYTHING away. I'm thinking of posting more specifics in the comments section, so that "spoilers" can be discussed. So, how about that??? Sound like a good idea?

*** Update***
I've finished Voyager. It is a book that will explain some things from the previous books, and you do get to see some "old" characters. It is a very action packed book with much murderrrrr and mahem. You get a LOT of Jamie and Claire which you didn't get in Dragon Fly in Amber. My mom said that this book is very "Indiana Jonesish".

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

A few things that I remember from reading this a few years ago:
Jamie's correcting the pronunciation of Bree's name.
The meeting of Claire and Jamie for the first time of course!!!
But the best thing so far, is the explanation of WHY it is "Dragon Fly in Amber". I'm so glad that I re-read these books, they give me a better sense of the whole story!!

June 10, 2006  
Blogger Sara said...

I adore these books! I am a history nut, as well, so that's just frosting on the cake. I just wish the books came out faster! And I really want to know why the Parisian apothecary whose name I can't remember crept back into the storyline in "The Fiery Cross" and yet we haven't heard anything about him since! And I'll write another sentence so that I can end it with an exclamation point!
Sara from KH

June 11, 2006  
Blogger Linda said...

while I would LIKE to re- read this series, its a little daunting and my husband would think I am crazy, as he really just thought I went to the library and looked for the thickest books to check out anyway. I might have to wait a year or so to do it again. Is she writing another book right now???? They were hard to put down thats for sure.

June 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home